Thursday, 29 November 2012


Life is drawing without an eraser....

Bookmarks of Life
In an article I read several years ago the writer spoke of his life as being nothing but a series of bookmarks that he used to jump back and forth through the theme of his life, returning again and again to the events that had made him who he was. There are numerous times when I, too, really see my life that way.  A seemingly trivial object, sight, or sound takes me back to something from my past. And many of those times it creates an ache in my heart for that which has been lost and for that which I long to get back.

Remembering significant bookmarks lets me attempt to understand what the moments have meant and continue to mean. The prolonged exposure in my mind to past events in my life may not always create a fun or positive feeling, or memory, of a particular time, but I have learned to allow those moments to guide my next step in the present. They also make me realize that living only in the present, and not recalling the moments of my past, can also flatten my daily existence. Bookmarks can be the triggers that open new chapters of my life. My memories, good or bad, are always available and I can use them wisely to develop the seasons of my life.   

Traveling back in time and/or the prolonged exposure to events of the past are not always easy to deal with, but the reality is that they can clear the haze in my life and allow the sun to illuminate the path that I am on, which in turn helps to give me the ongoing clarity that I need to help me be the person I want to be. They shed a constant light on the decisions I now make in my present life and more clearly direct me toward a more fulfilling future that I diligently pursue with my heart everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment