The Woven Tapestry of Life
With our first breath we have a powerful need for an attentive touch. Our infancy is a loom that is limited to only knowing need and that need must be delivered by the gentle, caring touch of a human hand. Once self-sufficient, our needs increase and can only be attained through our own deliberate choices. A tapestry of our choices is then defined by the things and experiences that have touched us, positively and negatively, and taken us to places that get woven into our lives. A countless measure of our life's events determines how to find the touch needed and how to choose to receive it. A kiss on the forehead, a soft hug of comfort, a hand placed on ours to let us know that we are not alone, a shoulder on which to rest our dreams - all of the simple basic pleasures and pains of our childhood serve us for a lifetime.
The fibers of living are inevitably spun of truth and lies, generosity and greed, sharing and possessing, dignity and shame, courage and fear, humility and ego, desire and denial, clarity and confusion so we must weave our tapestries gently and with care. Through trial and error, I have learned that my fibers should be chosen carefully so that they are not spun of regret. My experiences, observations, actions and realizations can weave tapestries of giving and receiving and I must weave positive protection to keep me free from harm. Patience allays misunderstanding, listening grows trust, reality defeats fantasy, simplicity overrides illusion, validation promotes success, gratitude delivers satisfaction, accountability defeats risk, and affirmation denies insult. Truly seeing what I have will bind satisfaction. Touching hearts will connect souls.
My tapestry will be woven throughout my lifetime but the truths of my tapestry will stay behind long after I am gone and will continue to be the history - the memory - of who I was and will hopefully be a guide for those with whom I have loved and shared life, as they choose their fibers and weave from their unique loom.
No comments:
Post a Comment