Thursday, 15 May 2014

To know what I need, instead of humbly accepting what the world tells me I ought to prefer, is what will keep my soul alive


Fitting Rooms

A short escape to the nearest mall to window-shop or to buy a new book, a scarf or just some small accessory can be, for me, an immediate cure to perk up a stressful day or a doom and gloom outlook. Suddenly life can look a little brighter, and it's a pretty benign habit if I'm careful to not max out my credit card! 

With a few hours to spare, and desperately in need of a break, I hurried off to my favorite ladies' wear store. Within fifteen minutes of arriving I had skimmed the aisles, spotted my purchase, tried it on and was standing in line, waiting my turn at the checkout counter. The jacket I had chosen was the right size, a good fit, just my color (a perfect blend of brown, beige and black), had a designer label and was reduced to a price that I just couldn't resist.

While waiting in line, I started thinking and, of course, in the back of my mind, I knew that although the jacket fit in size, it really did not fit in style. To be honest, it was quite bulky and definitely would be uncomfortable for indoor wear. Also, I remembered that I had a similar one hanging at the back of my closet. No matter - the color was exactly what I was looking for and the salesgirl in the fitting room had acknowledge how well the jacket suited me!

On the drive home from purchasing my new garment, I started to feel slightly unsettled and I began to think about how my thoughts, speech and actions are really the 'garments' of my  soul, and just as I express who I am through the clothes that I wear, so should my soul express it's longings and wants, capabilities and talent - its unique self - by clothing itself in thoughts, spoken words and actions.

Sometimes I have chosen clothes that suit my style, just as I have acted, thought and spoken compatibly with the true goals in my life. I have carefully selected garments that should be incorporated into my wardrobe and I have put aside those that should be bypassed. Other times, though, external factors have sidetracked me. It may have been social pressure, attractive colors or just an external fit. However, whatever the case was, I should not have been ignoring the most important factor - I should have been aware of what choices really would express the 'me' that I feel comfortable with.  Were the life choices that I was making in tune with my inner goals? Did they feel right and comfortable with the person I was wanting to be?

Life's lessons have taught me that it is necessary, on a continual basis, to reassess my life's purchases, big or small. The next time I feel the need to shop I may again find myself standing in line exactly where I was when I chose my new jacket.  But, for now, I will head to a different counter, new jacket in hand - a counter with a sign that reads Customer Service. And, I'll continue to only shop in stores where refunds are readily accepted! 







No comments:

Post a Comment