The Second Time Around
Our entire life is made up of choices - decisions - what we decide - the actions we take, the attitude we display. All represent the steps of our life. Sometimes we take two steps forward and then one step back. Sometimes we take baby steps, sometimes giant steps. But the secret to our life success is to not let that one step back turn into failure but to keep on stepping forward in this dance called life.
Along the paths of my life journey I have discovered that I am solely responsible for my choices and have accepted the consequences of every word, thought and deed throughout my life.
I have often been asked - in fact, have often asked myself - what I might do differently if I had the chance to live my life over again. There are a slew of situations - big and little - that I would probably handle differently a second - more mature - time around. The list of things I could have done differently are many. But the lessons I have learned along my life journey have taught me that there are no completely bad or good choices, as ultimately, even the choices I have made that have been challenging were exactly what I needed in my personal destiny, for my ultimate good.
This perspective has been liberating. Most of my every day, and sometime horrid choices can be chalked up to destiny. However, ethical choices I have made have been mine alone and they can't be regarded the same way because my loss of composure and resulting behavior was a result of my personal free choice. And these types of choices are always regrettable.
Fortunately, however, after I made these less- than- perfect choices there was always an opportunity for me to use those decisions for my own benefit. In hindsight - and in hindsight only - I can accept that this was exactly what I needed - at that moment - for my individual spiritual progress. I may have chosen a regrettable path that consequently got me into a bind, but, when properly utilized, the setbacks and the lessons I took from them propelled me to incredible heights.
If I could live my life over again, how would I do it? Differently, perhaps. But I don't get to live it again. Therefore, the only decision I now really need to be conscious of making is the decision to continue to use every one of my choices as an impetus for self-improvement. And in so doing, I will be truly wiser as I continue to place my footprints along the paths of my life journey.
This perspective has been liberating. Most of my every day, and sometime horrid choices can be chalked up to destiny. However, ethical choices I have made have been mine alone and they can't be regarded the same way because my loss of composure and resulting behavior was a result of my personal free choice. And these types of choices are always regrettable.
Fortunately, however, after I made these less- than- perfect choices there was always an opportunity for me to use those decisions for my own benefit. In hindsight - and in hindsight only - I can accept that this was exactly what I needed - at that moment - for my individual spiritual progress. I may have chosen a regrettable path that consequently got me into a bind, but, when properly utilized, the setbacks and the lessons I took from them propelled me to incredible heights.
If I could live my life over again, how would I do it? Differently, perhaps. But I don't get to live it again. Therefore, the only decision I now really need to be conscious of making is the decision to continue to use every one of my choices as an impetus for self-improvement. And in so doing, I will be truly wiser as I continue to place my footprints along the paths of my life journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment