Thursday, 28 November 2013

Along our life journey we should try to find a path to travel that will allow us to create.....

Dreams Do Come True

Several days have passed since I dreamily floated through the book launch of Lost in the Long Goodbye, my very first - one author only - published book. I had previously been published in a newsletter and an anthology of prose and poetry, and I continually write for this blog and these accomplishments have brought me great pleasure. But to be celebrating the publication of my very own book brings the realization that my dream of one day becoming a published author has actually finally come true.

The book launch venue - The Markham Village Library, Fireside Lounge - offered a warm, inviting yet intimate environment, with its wood enclosed pipes crossing the architecturally stunning high cathedral type ceilings, and floor to ceiling windows streaming bright sunshine in from the outside cold, wintry day. The lounge was full of family and friends and others interested in books and literary events. A jazz guitarist strummed beautiful background music and I was in awe as I approached the 'podium' to begin my reading.

It was a dream that had been a lifetime in the making. Since early childhood, words had been my interest and my entertainment. I liked to read and constantly had at least two books on the go, but I possessed a powerful need to write and so my collection of my own attempts at prose and poetry began, and continued into adulthood and then into my senior years, where, until my retirement, it remained in boxes, guarded carefully under my bed.

Life had got in the way of my being able to fulfill my dream. Now, though, at this stage, with active mothering over and retirement handing me the time needed, I have been able to revisit that dream. Having an abundance of life experiences to reflect on, and having had many credits from the school of hard knocks, I have been able to pour out my thoughts once more. My creativity again lies in finding words and images for my thoughts and my feelings, translating my inner self into outer forms. It is the making of my life and my world. 

I have, however, met many stumbling blocks along my dream highway - mostly in the form of so called experts who attempted to stifle my creativity with negative, non-constructive and hurtful critiquing - people who tried to insist that to be successful and to get published it was necessary to write according to a set of rules.

I have since learned, through a very wise mentor/friend who loves writing and teaching, that I alone know best not only what to write, but also how to accomplish it better than anyone else can for me. Her excitement and her belief in me fired my creativity again, and so I will continue to write. 

I have found that to write requires the courage to experiment, to stand against those who are negative toward my ideas, and to be sincere to myself in developing my own writing style. Words and images are a very important way for me to describe my life experiences, but they must be my own words and my own poetry and stories. I have a sense of excitement again about my writing and a sense of joy in the act of writing and the expression of my ideas in words.  I have a belief in the value of my personal experiences and the value of penning it on to paper or typing it on a keyboard. I have a profound trust in self and a greater sense of possibility.

Life is what we choose to make it and I will continue to dream big - perhaps a novel next, or a book of poetry - because, with  encouragement, perseverance and hard work, dreams do come true!   

No comments:

Post a Comment